Monday, August 1, 2011

marathon month

It’s marathon month!


I can’t believe it is already August. Time flies. Yes I think I have written that in every single one of my past few posts.

This past week was my last peak week in my marathon training. I ran 63 miles and I can honestly say I have never felt stronger or better. High mileage seems to agree with me.

Here is how the last of my peak weeks went down.

Monday:  8 easy miles as a Team for Kids mentor

Tuesday:  6 miles total: 4X1:30, 4X1:00, 4X30sec, 4X15sec going up Harlem Hill hard

Wednesday: 11.5 miles comfortable

Thursday: 7 miles total, 6 mile tempo loop in Central Park

Friday: rest!

Saturday: 24 comfortable miles with a negative split. Never have I started a run before 6am! I did the first 10 on my own mostly in Central Park and then met up with Team for Kids for their 14 mile run over Queensboro Bridge, around Randall’s Island and back over the Queensboro Bridge. This by far goes down as the best long run I have ever done. I have never felt so good and like I was still holding so much back and wanting to go so much faster even at the end. Long runs over 20 miles may not work for everyone, but this training cycle I have learned that they work for ME, both physiologically and psychologically. My only mistake? Buying a quart of chocolate milk and drinking THE ENTIRE THING in one gulp after the run. It tasted sooo good and then I felt sick. Oops.

Sunday: 6.5 recovery miles

Time for taper. Not totally sure how I feel about that…

However, excited or not, I might have still bought myself a little present to celebrate the end of hard training. And my shuffle was being finicky about letting me put new songs on it. So I needed it. Clearly.
hi new ipod nano!
Do you reward yourself with gifts during training? I think running is a wonderful gift in itself but I do admit I will still buy myself presents occasionally. Or let’s be honest. Maybe more than occasionally.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now load that baby up with some rocking songs! Nice mileage week.

Christy said...

You're killing it! You're going to have such a great race!

Jamie said...

Love the Ipod Nano! I really want to get one! Do you like yous?

mealsformiles said...

24 miles! Nice work, lady! How exciting your race is so soon. I definitely reward myself with things during training. Most recently it was a massive cup of froyo from 16 Handles...

thethinksicanthink said...

24 miles?!? Thats insane! Congrats. I definitely reward myself, but more food rewards (ie ICE CREAM!)

nyflygirl said...

i rewarded getting through the first month unscathed with my lululemon shopping spree :)

wow-way to kill the 24!!

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner said...

Nice job on the speed work! Enjoy your easy day...you earned it!