Monday, July 25, 2011

first 60 mile week!

I think I hate running in hot weather more than anyone I know. However, I was not going to let anything get in the way of the first of two peak weeks before taper. Not even this...

historical weather aka heatpocalypse 2011
With a positive, nothing-is-going-to-stop-me attitude and a lot of salt, gatorade and water I hit my first 60 mile week ever!

packet of salt FTW!
Monday: 9 miles

Tuesday: 6.5 miles (warm up, 5X600, 1200, 4X600, 1200, cool down)

Wednesday: 11 miles

Thursday: 5.5 miles (1/2 mile warm up, 4 mile tempo, 1 mile cool down)

Friday: rest!

Saturday: 22 miles
The first 11 miles I was a pace leader for the 8:30 min/mile group in the NYRR Long Training Run. Due to the extreme conditions we were instructed to run up to 30 seconds slower. At 7am when the run started it was already 83 degrees! The second 11 miles I sped up the pace. By the time I finished a little over 3 hours later it was 90 degrees!!! Amazingly despite the hills (4 loops in Central Park!) and the heat, I felt strong. Long runs were always some of my favorite runs and what I excelled at but I seemed to have lost it this training cycle. However, between my good 21 miler two weeks ago and this run I think I have gained my confidence back. Yay!
I made the NYRR gallery for the first time :)

Sunday: 6 miles recovery

Less than a month to go!

4 comments:

mealsformiles said...

Ok seriously - you ran 22 miles and it consisted of 4 CP loops in 90+ degrees?????? I bow down to you. That is amazing. Combined with a 60 mile week during this hellish weather, you are the (wo)man. Fabulous week!! But here's to a week with semi normal temps!

lindsay said...

amazing runs (i'm jealous of all the running & speed!). add in the hades weather and you're just nuts.

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner said...

Wow! A 60 mile week is amazing!!!!!! I don't know if I have ever done that many miles in one week! Awesome. Seriously.

nyflygirl said...

what they all said!! :)

great job on getting all that in during the heatpocalypse :) enjoy the taper-well deserved!